Here is my favourite cake recipe, that is not only simple to make and absolutely delicious, but also packed with plenty of goodness, making for a sweet indulgence that is better for you.
- 350g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 175ml water extra virgin olive oil
- 375g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 500ml grated courgette (about 2x medium courgettes)
- 300g dark chocolate
- 150g double cream
- Heat oven to 160 fan and mix flour, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Combine grated courgette with olive oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix the dry and wet mixtures together.
- Line 24cm cake tin with greaseproof paper and pour in mixture.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes before cooling completely on wire rack.
- Icing: break up chocolate into small pieces and bring cream to the boil.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate and mix until chocolate fully melted and smooth. Spread icing over cake and enjoy ❤️